Wednesday, October 9, 2013

"Real" Training and Bad Laziness

Yesterday marked the first major workout in my marathon training. By major, I mean different/more than I've been doing. Last week was pretty easy and was actually a little bit less mileage than I was doing for my half marathon training. Well, this week kicks it into high gear. I'm going from 24 miles last week to 39 this week! I'm a little intimidated. I think my previous weekly high for mileage was 29.

I'm not sure if I've mentioned this in the past (yes, all of three posts now - it's been so long), but I work 10 hour days, 4 days a week. Yay for three day weekends, but that means I have to be to the bus stop by 5:55 am, which means that running higher mileage equals getting up EARLY. Previously, I would get up at 4:00 three days a week and at 3:30 for a longer run on Thursdays and then do my longest run on Sundays. Yesterday being my first "big girl" run, I had to get up at 3:00 - Yikes! Did I mention how much I am not a morning person? Of course, it just so happened that I had an awful night and only got about 3 hours sleep. I'm not going to lie, I seriously considered going back to bed, but then I thought "is two more hours of sleep going to make that big of a difference at this point?" and my wonderful husband reminded me how great I would feel when it was over...so I sucked it up and got on the treadmill.

The workout was 12 x 400's at 5k pace with a 400 recovery and a mile warm up and cool down for a total of 8 miles. I've only ever done 8 as a "long" run, so I was seriously questioning if I had 8 miles of intervals in my sleepy self. But I did and it was amazing! My legs felt great the whole time and I ended up finishing the whole 8 miles four minutes faster than my long runs. I was worried that I would be extra sore, but my legs just had that great "I had a great run" feeling.

That being said... this morning was seriously less awesome. While I slept better last night, I did get woken up at about 1:30 by a rouge wandering puppy and ended up hitting the snooze button too many times. I then rationalized that I wouldn't have enough time to get ready if I ran and slept in...this is my shame face. I will be doing my scheduled run after work - sigh. I hate it when I miss a run because I'm being bad lazy. Note: bad lazy leads to missing runs and not getting things done. Good lazy is fun and occurs after runs and important things are done. Grrrr, now I'm cranky. I'm going to remember this feeling next time I'm tempted to hit the snooze button repeatedly.



No comments:

Post a Comment