Thursday, October 10, 2013

Best Run Ever!

Okay, that may be a bit of an exaggeration, but this morning's run was pretty awesome. As I mentioned earlier, I recently started marathon training with Hanson's method. Today was my first tempo run. I had a mile warm up, 5 miles at tempo (which for Hanson's is "marathon" pace), then a mile cool down. My "marathon" pace (I put this in quotes because I'm a bit skeptical that I'll be able to keep this up for 26.2 miles - we'll see, Hanson brothers, we'll see) is about 30 seconds per mile faster than I usually do my distance runs, so it shouldn't be a big deal, but I knew I'd be sore from Tuesday's speed work, and I've never run this much weekly mileage, so I was a little nervous.

I have to say, these guys really know what they're doing. I'm glad that I am reading the book as well as following the plan. I'm kind of a nerd, and it really helps me to know the reasoning behind the paces and distances. I was reading the chapter yesterday about tempo runs and how they are designed to push you just fast enough to improve aerobic fitness, but not so fast as to build up too much lactic acid. I was amazed at how great my legs felt. The pace was perfect.

So I went from not wanting to crawl out of bed at 3:15, to being on cloud nine after an amazing run. I'm sort of obnoxiously perky now. My poor husband had to listen to my chattering about how great my run was at 5:00 in the morning (I think I'll keep him, he's awesome).

So today = awesome run + my "Friday" + pizza night + wearing my new super-cute, super-cozy sweatshirt = AWESOMENESS!!! I wish everyone Happy Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment