Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Bad Run Turned Decent Walk

"The only bad workout is the one you didn't do." We've seen this all over, right? Well, let me tell you, I had a bad run yesterday. Don't get me wrong, I'm still glad I did it, but MAN it was rough.

I mentioned in my last post that I'd had in interruption in my antidepressants that led to a seriously unpleasant mood shift. While that is getting better, it's still not quite back to normal yet. That on top of some general life stress put me in a really nasty funk last night. So I decided to go for a run outside. (If you've followed me for very long, you'll know that outdoor running is pretty rare for me).

Whelp...it sucked. I felt like a clumsy elephant. Everything hurt - my muscles were screaming at me, my joints weren't happy, and I felt like I could feel every single extra pound as my feet hit the pavement. So I stopped to walk. I thought, "it's ok, I'll warm up." Noooopppeee. Every time I tried to pick back up to a gentle jog, my body rebelled. I seriously felt like I hadn't been running in months. It sucked. Did I say that already? Well, it bears repeating.

Having a bad run when I needed that run to help my mood also was not good. I almost started crying. But then, I took a deep breath and looked at the beautiful evening and the green trees and perfect weather and made myself smile until I meant it. I reminded myself that I like walking and that there is no shame in needing to take it easy if that's what my body is telling me to do. Once I embraced the walking, I was able to relax and enjoy it. I tried a few pick-ups, discovered that things were not inclined to change, and went back to walking and listening to music. By the time I got home, I was in a much better mood. It wasn't as good as a run, but it worked well enough.

Here's hoping tomorrow's run is better. Talk soon!

1 comment: