Monday, February 27, 2017

Random Updates

...So it's been awhile...

I am currently struggling quite a bit with depression - and though I've had some ideas for blog posts, I keep getting tripped up by one thing or another that makes it seem like too much trouble. Usually it's the task of getting pictures from the camera to my computer... 'cause the walk from the kitchen table to my laptop is a lot of work. ...yup, that's where I'm at right now.

Anyway, I'll try not to dwell on the negative and instead share some random life-happenings.

Random Update #1: I not only finished the school work I mentioned here, but I did really well on the final! My mentor told me he'd never seen a score that high for that class - so I was feeling pretty smug. So this experience of being stressed out has translated to diligently scheduling this term's work and not procrastinating...right? Not so much. Mmmmmm....yeah. We'll talk about that some other time.

Random Cuteness: 

 























Lola got a new dog bed and both she and S are pretty happy about it. Cody sent me these pictures at work and it totally made my day. 
 
Random Update #2: We re-arranged our living room to make things more "baby-proof." We have several (like 12-15) cubes that are full of books and knickknacks. Almost all of these were transplanted downstairs - which has the dual benefit of getting things away from grabby baby fingers as well as cutting down on clutter (it's also makes the basement a little homier in my opinion). The cubes that remain have S's toys and books, so he is free to grab anything and there is a place to put stuff away when I pick up - amazing! We also transplanted the large, heavy bookcase full of DVD's downstairs. I'd originally planned to anchor this to the wall, but I had a clutter-freak-out and was in to the mood to minimize the stuff in our living room/dining room area, so down it went. It feels really great to have a space where S can just crawl all over and know he won't get a hold of something he's not supposed to have. Of course, now his favorite things are 1) trying to get to the electric heater and 2) pulling on the curtains. Sigh. Instead of "baby proof," let's call it "baby-resistant." [By the way, I have tons of pictures to go with this, but said pictures are still on the camera...so I'll have to do a massive picture-dump post in the near future.]

Random Update #3: We've taken up the battle again to try and get Cody's condition diagnosed. After four years of different doctors and fighting with the VA, we finally decided to pay out-of-pocket to try and get a real diagnosis. We've started with a new neurologist who ordered a muscle biopsy to help steer things in the right direction. Cody had that three weeks ago and is now sporting a fresh two-inch scar on his thigh. Hopefully the results will show something, or if they don't - will at least rule some things out. We'll see how it goes. Medical stuff always takes forever and tries your patience (and your wallet).  

Random Story: Saturday night, I was creeping down my basement stairs (to get a book because I couldn't sleep) and I realized that I was literally tip-toeing down my own stairs to avoid waking up...my dog. At that moment, it struck me that this was, perhaps, not a normal thing to do. Let me explain - when Lola was a puppy, she would sometimes go into the basement rather than "ask" to go outside, so we got into the habit of blocking off the stairs (and now we have a baby gate) - so whenever I go downstairs, she gets very excited and will either a) bring a bone to hide, or b) go find a previously hidden bone. Long story short - she gets VERY excited when anyone goes downstairs and will proceed to race up and down a couple of times, then bark and pounce to try and get you to play with her. All of this leads to the comical reality of me sneaking down my own stairs in an effort not to wake my basset hound, who will then wake up the baby, who will wake up the poor husband who never gets to sleep anymore.

Just in case you forgot how cute she is.

I am planning to do some posts soon talking about my recent high's and low's in weight loss and adventures in exercising. Stay tuned - I swear it won't be another month before my next post. :O)



Have you ever done something ridiculous as a pet owner (like sneaking around your own house, or sleeping contorted because you don't have the heart to kick them off the bed)?


3 comments:

  1. Yes. I find myself being very quiet in the kitchen trying to get a snack without waking up my choc. lab. I never succeed but it's worth a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Depression is the pits. Hang in there. Spring is coming and things will turn around.

    I find myself sleeping in a small rectangle on the bed as my significant other takes up a good portion, and my dog sleeps at my feet (or rather, on my calves, forcing me to maneuver around her when I need to turn over). I also NEED a pillow to hug or I can't get comfortable, and so that takes up some more precious real estate. As soon as my SO gets out of bed in the morning, I move right over lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My basset hound does the same thing. I end up with my feet hanging off the side of the bed.

      Delete